Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Smoothie Ideas

Julie had an awesome post about home-made breakfast cereal earlier this week. I thought I'd continue the breakfast trend because breakfast is really really difficult.

My favourite breakfast these days is a great big smoothie! Yum!

Occasionally I use icecream or frozen yoghurt in my smoothies, but my regular basic everyday smoothie doesn't have icecream. Instead I use (some) frozen ingredients! I like to have my smoothies with about one fruit and one vegetable. And by vegetable I generally mean celery, but occasionally spinach or parsley.

So first you'll put in your smoothie ingredients. I try to use about half frozen, half fresh. If everything is frozen you're going to want to go low on ingredients or else eat your result with a spoon (note: this is also awesome).

My (not anymore) secret ingredient for maximum deliciousness is frozen celery. You heard me. When I buy a bunch of celery I chop it up and chuck it in zip lock bags. The combo I'm using today is half frozen celery, half fresh banana. I'll often use frozen bananas if I'm not using frozen celery.

I also love berries and of course any kind of fruit works if you're into that kind of thing.

For something super green you can also go for spinach or kale and/or spirulina powder.


Penultimately, you're going to want some kind of milk, or milk substitute. My favourite is Almond Milk but try Soy, Rice, Oat or regular dairy. You can also use fruit juice if there's a juice you can tolerate. I've also tried with just water but... meh, never lead to much deliciousness.

Last - a generous pinch of salt (optional), or a spoon of honey/malt syrup/golden syrup if you've got a sweet tooth.

Blend and poor. Today I sprinkled some cardamom on top. It was actually kind of amazing.



If you can eat oats I have found a spoonful of rolled oats can give a smoothie a lovely texture, and if you want more of a protein hit a spoonful of peanut or nut or seed butter can be absolutely magical.

What do you like in a smoothie? Is celery and salt just too weird for you?




No comments:

Post a Comment