Monday, January 7, 2013

Welcome to Tricky Eaters

Hi there!

I'm one of your hosts, Julie.

I'm a Chiropractor based in Melbourne, Australia. I work part-time in practice while doing a PhD in Chiropractic.

Welcome to our new blog. I'm a tricky eater, and if you've found your way here you are probably a tricky eater too, or you've been asked to cook for one.

I've had numerous problems with food over the years. Eczema, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, migraines, fatigue among others. I've found that changing the food I'm eating can help with some of the symptoms that I can get.

One of the main foods I've recently discovered doesn't agree with me is fructose. If you have any experience with fructose sensitivity then you'll know that it can vary between person to person. Some fructose sufferers can get away with a bit of wheat, others can't, some can use 'onion water' and others can't. Most of us start the diet really strictly and then experiment to find out what we can and cannot handle. Working out what to eat is really hard, so of course I went on the internet to find some recipes. Oh boy. So much conflicting information! So many terrible recipes. So many recipes containing foods I know are big 'no-nos' for me. It's frustrating and annoying. I've also found that the information out there is conflicting and misleading. Even I find it confusing, and I have taken university courses in diet and nutrition.

This blog is a place with simple information, easily adaptable recipes and (hopefully) some good advice. It's not just about fructose sensitivity, we want to include information and recipes for a range of tricky eaters. Particularly for combinations of sensitivities. One of my goals is to create a fructose friendly, dairy free, nut free and egg free cake, oh yeah and it has to taste pretty good too. I'm going to post about some of my go-to meal ideas, and how to adapt them to suit your tricky needs. I'm also going to review some common substitution foods and how to use them in cooking. Also some tips on how to eat out without hassling waiters.

I've also asked my tricky eater sister, Elise to co-host with me.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment