Monday, January 7, 2013

Welcome (reprise)

Hi There! I'm your other co-host, Elise.

Like my sister Julie I have a long history of food restrictions and issues. My siblings and I grew up vegetarian. In my early 20s I spent two years as a vegan. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and had to eliminate all caffeine (including chocolate) from my diet in my teens. I've experienced pain and bloating from fructose, fructans, cabbages (including other vegetables in the cabbage family such as broccoli and cauliflower), dairy, carrots, beans & legumes and nuts. And eating a lot of soy products gives me an unshakable delusion that I am pregnant.

Oh and I also get severe abdominal pain when I worry about what to eat, so that's fun.

Although I'm currently on a sabbatical from restricting my diet in any way (see pain when I worry about what to eat), I've learned a lot over nearly 30 years of having a restrictive diet. I have vegan and vegetarian friends, low-fructose friends, my sister Julie and my stepfather (who can't eat mushrooms, vinegar or anything fermented, and I long list of vegetables and fruits he doesn't tolerate) who I love to hang out with and cook for!

One of my favourite things to do is to cook from scratch and one of the things I love about doing everything yourself is that you can substitute any problematic ingredients out rather than reading a bunch of labels.

I look forward to putting together some ridiculously simple recipes!

Elise


No comments:

Post a Comment